Sunday 22 April 2007

Bandits And Outlaws

Bandits and Outlaws are an interesting source of discussion. The idea of the "anti-hero" is used in almost all types of media, from film and TV to comics and literature. The idea is widely accepted that a good person can perform bad acts and still be like by the audience. In my screenplay I tried to push this idea as far as I could by making the two main characters both equally bad, leaving the audience to be stuck with which one to root for in the bloody shootout in the final scene. This had been explored in many different films but in most the characters are likable. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, for example has a death count of 30 but the characters are rooted for right to the final scene. see... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064115/trivia
Although I have many favorite films the classic bandits and outlaws always appealed to me and I thoroughly enjoyed writing a short screenplay set in the old west. Maybe people should post their favorite bandits to see if we have an agreed favorite. Although I'm fond of Butch and Sundance, Bonnie and Clyde, Dirty Harry and all the others, my all-time favorite villain is defiantly Dick Dastardly.

Hehehehehe...!

Thanks for listening (sort of!)

No comments: