Sunday 29 April 2007

Graffiti

After hearing about a couple of school girls who got fined £80 for drawing with chalk on a pavement I got to thinking about 'graffiti'.

I've always been a fan of the art movement of graffiti, but I feel that the criminal act and artistic expression should be given separate names.

In this case, the work may not be defined as a great piece of artwork but seeing as it is not offensive and not permanent, the fine of £80 or an ASBO seems extreme. See more of this article here.

The law of graffiti states that young offenders should be given community service rather than a fine, (bbc.co.uk) and I feel this is fair in most situations, chalk hearts does not count in my eyes. Maybe the officers were having a boring day! If a policeman was in a school, a public property, should they arrest a child for drawing hopscotch on the floor!? This is crazy!


Thanks for listening (Sort Of)

No comments: